Thursday, October 8, 2009

Panasonic TC-P50G15 Great TV

I've had a G15 for a couple of weeks now and it's great. I use the THX setting. The picture looks great and very realistic. I admit it is kind of dark. Not a problem in a dimly lit room. The brightness can be turned up if the picture is too dark.

I looked at many LCD TVs. Particularly the LED back lit Samsung LCDs and samsung Plasma's. The Samsung's look vibrant. The picture really stands out in the store. The problem is the picture looks kind of cartoonish. The new Panasonic plasmas just make the picture look the way it should without making things look overly colorful or adding extra frames. It really does a great job of showing dark portions. On LCD's the dark colors kind of blend together and look very dark grey. On the G15, I can see subtle details in darkness.

I have the TV hooked up to the internet. I can view You Tube videos and get a local weather forecast. It's neat to play with, but I don't really use it. It's an easy way to get software updates.

The SD Card slot is useful for those with a camera or camcorder. I take the HD card from my Canon HD camcorder and put it in the slot and the TV plays it with no problem.

Some have reported problems playing blu-ray movies in native 24p format. I've played them at 48Hz and 60Hz and haven't noticed any issues at all.

My old LCD used to get very hot. Not this TV. I thought Plasma TVs used more power. My TV may use more power than an LCD, but the power must go toward the picture because not much goes toward heat generation.

Off angle viewing on this TV is much better than with LCDs. The picture looks the same when viewed at 45 degrees. On my LCDs, there is noticeable color drop off at that angle.

Overall this is by far the best TV I've ever owned. I have 3 other HDTVs and none come close to matching the picture quality of this TV.

I think this TV is identical to the less expensive G10 model. The only real difference is this TV is about 2" thick while I think the G10 is 4" thick. The slimmer model will probably be better for wall mounting, but other than that, the TV is identical.

No comments:

Post a Comment